Thursday, January 13, 2011

#1-Art Word of the Week: Creativity

Can CREATIVITY be defined easily? Can this word that holds so many different meanings be simply defined in a few words? Not entirely. When I think of creativity, I think of expression, ingenuity and above all, a unique capability to bring together ideas and form a completely different or transformed idea.


This picture captivated my interest when it was shown to me by my sister after a trip to New York City.  It was taken at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) and it provides a bird's eyeview of an exhibit entitled Waste Not by a man named Song Dong. As the picture depicts, Song Dong gathered the entire contents of the home he shared with his mother in China and created this exhibit with all of the items.  The materials range from empty pop bottles to shoes and from clothes to empty tooth paste containers.  The title of the exhibit, Waste Not is a reflection of Song Dong's Chinese culture that encourages people to not waste materials.

In my opinion, the exhibit from the MoMa is an amazing expression of creativity from Song Dong.  The story behind his exhibit is one of great sadness.  After his father passed away at a young age, Song Dong's mother began keeping every single item they owned, never throwing anything out.  It is amazing to think of how many things can be kept in one dwelling, and to think of the reasoning behind keeping everything.  I found it fascinating how Song Dong was able to meticulously organize every material into sections, paying careful attention to what belonged where. This is creativity to me. This illustrates how one person's life experience gave them the inspiration to create such a unique exhibit.  Some may not consider an assortment of seemingly useless objects art, but beauty is in the eye's of the beholder

When trying to think of what I see as creative and what inspires me, I didn't know where to begin.  After a couple days, something triggered my memory and the answer came to me, which is when I asked my sister to send me pictures of the exhibit.  My traditional view of art is a painting or drawing that would ordinarily be considered art by everyone.  However when I thought more about Song Dong's Waste Not exhibit...I was reminded of the different avenues people use to express their creativity.  

Art is a unique expression that is individual to the artist.  I think it is important for people to remember this, even people that may be too young to spell the word art.  When discussing and creating art with children, I think it is crucial to express to them that everyone has their own special ideas.  Even though young children may not completely understand what it means to express creativity, it is important as educators to remind them that they are all artists...and the type of art they create is extraordinary.   By truly valuing the art children make, educators can provide a sense of appreciation and balance in an early childhood classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment